I to this day don'tknow what caused me to purchase "Every Soul A Star" last year at my school book fair, and don't know exactly why I like it so much- re-reading it ALL the time.
The book itself isn't very complex, and it's a bit of an easy-read. I usually like to challenge myself with sophisticated and challenging books with complicated plots. I think part of me desired a break from intense themes and issues, and to try looking deeper into a lighter, less layered story.
The book goes between three different perspectives of characters, who are all eventually connected. Sometimes you get one event told from multiple views, and sometimes a character will share something personal to themselves.
I think the part that drew me in was just how real the characters were- almost as if the author could see into their minds. I've always noticed that in books, and sometimes it's what makes or breaks the text.
I couldn't necessarily empathize 100% with all of the characters,which pushed me to work really hard to understand them. I had a kind of triumphant feeling after I got through one person, and then I could look at and pay more attention to other aspects of the book. What kept me reading "Every Soul A Star" was my ability to take it slowly. Like with many things, step by step...
Monday, November 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is really interesting. I really enjoy reading books that seem "simpler" for this reason...sometimes there is a lot of beauty hidden within...and really good writers know how to execute it perfectly, like E.B. White and Charlotte's Web or Mark Twain and Tom Sawyer.
ReplyDelete