Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Of course I cried

Mostly because I feel myself slipping away in terms of writing abilities and confidence. Overwhelmed by pretty much EVERYTHING, I've been sliding down tracks I hadn't considered before.

Ew. I really did not mean for that to sound poetic or metaphorical.

Half the time I feel like I'm going to throw up. I always feel like my work is lacking, thanks to my surroundings and the judgement of others. I'm not feeling competitive, but when certain people are constantly recognized and it's made clear by others that those people are above your levels, it's hard not to compare.

And it's hard not to have a meltdown when writing is what you rely on. Your only outlet. Like me.

I'm starting to get the feeling that this doesn't make any sense.

Anyway.

My gut reaction is to ignore it. Swallow my emotions and let it go. Say to myself, "screw them."

Sometimes I wish I didn't care so much. Like it would be easier to be able to...I don't know, not care.

I am not an over achiever, though I know some subconscious part of my brain, or just me, or WHATEVER wants to be.

As if that would make anything better.

I've been screaming in my head for most of the day. Especially in ELA, when my struggles with my own writing comes into play.

I honestly expected to see drops on the keyboard the minute I looked down, but they're not there. At this point I'm just ranting angrily...not being skillful or clever writing wise, of course.

And every time I let too much run through my mind at once, I know I'm going to cry.

Because how could I not?

Anyway.

I'm reading the Bell Jar, and at first I tried to turn to Esther and Sylvia, alike as character and author.

But at this point, I don't find comfort in my books. I can only use them as distractions from my loss of confidence. And everything else.

Which depresses me even further.

I'm making an attempt...
to get over it...
but I'm not getting anywhere...

Help...

2 comments:

  1. Gabrielle. You are one of the most talented writers I have ever--I mean ever--taught. And that's about 600 students. I shared your blogs with a few teacher friends and people who are on staff at Columbia Teachers College and here's some of the feedback I've gotten:

    "Ok Kristen, I just read these blogs and I am completely blown away...And the kids’ stuff is not kids’ stuff! It is really remarkable. Thank you again for sharing this. I am so moved." -a TC staff developer

    "Oh my god. How beautiful! I am so inspired right now - about kids, their voices, their reading lives and how it connects to music and our interior lives and voice. Sigh. What a sight. I used to teach at 51, and it makes me want to go back!!! Thank you, We are weeping in our living room reading snippets aloud." -a former 51 teacher and current TC developer.

    You have an amazing gift and a unique, beautiful, poetic style. You see things that no one else would see. Please, please don't stop sharing it with the rest of us who look forward to seeing each and every update. I'm am just so grateful that you are just a seventh grader so that I get to see your writing all the time for another year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOOOOO True ms Robbins. Gabi-- i have never met a writer as mature as you. In your world 'the box' doesn't exist, In your world there is no brainstorming your brain is the storm. You create a masterpiece through your writing, a picture that few people can paint. You are amazing Gabi, you have a real gift and it makes me happy to know that you share it with the world. A glimpse of your writing make me smile.

    so embrace it and have fun on the magical journey ahead of you

    ReplyDelete